Brief History of Elsie
In the early 1800's, the first known inhabitants to settle the area, known as Elsie, were the Sauks (or Sacs), a native Indian tribe. They roamed the area until the Chippewa Indians attacked them and wiped out their people. The Chippewa Indians controlled this land till the 1820's, then they had to surrender the land when a series of treaties were signed with the United States government. These treaties were put in place to remove tribal members from these areas. Because of the smallpox epidemic that killed the majority of Chippewa people, these treaties were never implemented.
In 1836, the first white settlers came to the area. During the years, they built up the area hoping to attract new settlers. Because the area had grown large enough, in 1850 they built the area's first schoolhouse.
On June 18, 1857, the area was legally recorded and named "Elsie." The name came about when Elsie Amelia Tillotson, approximately 2 years old, walked into a town meeting when they were discussing the name of the Village. Elsie was also the first white child born in the village. She was born on July 10, 1853.
To read more about the history of Elsie and to purchase the full paperback book: Elsie One Hundred and Fifty years in the Life of a Community, contact the Elsie Historical Society.